Qualifications for Being a Mentor
A mentor is a person who leaves a living legacy behind in the form of people who have benefited from the mentor's life experiences.' Source: Unknown. Each one of us has a life that is a unique tapestry and within the threads of that tapestry are life experiences waiting to be shared. You don't need all the answers, possess a PHD or be the CEO of a Fortune 100 company. You should however have a genuine interest in sharing your life experience and expertise in a mentor/Mentee relationship. There are many qualities and skills that good mentors share. Mentors:
- Listen: Can you offer an ear, and not necessarily advice?
- Are Accessible: Does your schedule permit a mentoring relationship?
- Share: Are you willing to share your knowledge, expertise, skills, and time?
- Motivate: Can you motivate the Mentee to reach their full potential?
- Provide Insight: Can you use your personal experience to help your Mentee avoid mistakes and learn from good decisions?
- Guide: Can you guide the Mentee to determine his/her right course of action; not preach or dictate?
- Provide a Positive Influence: Do you project a positive, upbeat image? Are you a positive role model?
- Are Honest and Open: Can you offer your thoughts and constructive feedback honestly and openly?
- Provide a Fresh Perspective: Can you help your Mentee see a situation with fresh eyes?
- Offer Advice: Can you offer advice – only if asked? Your Mentee may want a sounding board to help him/her work out issues and come to their own conclusion.
- Are Cheerleaders: Can you offer support and encouragement?
'Few things in the world are more powerful than a positive push. A smile. A word of optimism and hope. A ‘you can do it’ when things are tough.' Source: Richard M. De Vos. Join 'MentorCity™' and make the world of difference in the life of a Mentee.
Learn more About Mentoring.
For Associations, Companies, and Schools
Request a Tour to learn how MentorCity's online mentoring software can help you run an effective mentoring program for your members, employees, students, and alumni.
For Individuals (Mentors and Mentees)
Join our free public site and connect with individuals from all over the world. Choose from thousands of mentors who have specialized skills from a variety of industries and job functions.
Join your associations, workplaces or schools existing Mentoring Program that is using MentorCity. Please complete the following: